Everyone is different. Some could just be a little sensitive towards certain metals, the lucky ones could wear all types of metals without getting a reaction. In rare cases, some could be entirely allergic to even gold.
Some of the commonly used metals on costume jewellery are - Rhodium, alloy, iron, nickel and steel. As for hypoallergenic metals, 925 sterling silver, brass, surgical steel, titanium, gold-plated steel, and stainless steel.
However,not all hypoallergenic metals are suited for those with sensitive lobes. We’ve encountered customers who have hypersensitive ears whereby they cannot even wear stainless steel or surgical steel studs. We've also heard of extreme cases where they are allergic to even gold or 925 sterling silver. Hence, you have to be sure of the metals you’re putting in your lobes to prevent any discomfort when you put on your dangles.
FIND OUT WHAT YOU’RE SENSITIVE TO
For starters, you’ll have to trial and error on the different type of metals and how your ears react to them. Surely during your teenage days, you’ve encountered times where you purchased a pair of earrings and after putting them on, you realised your lobes started to itch, turned red or became sore.
CHECK THE METAL USED
Most of the time, the metals used for the studs or hooks are as stated in the product descriptions.If it only states that it’s hypoallergenic andit doesn’t indicate the metal used - do not proceedunless you’re one of the luckier girls who can wear all kinds of metals.We want to emphasise that one could even be sensitive or allergic to hypoallergenic metals.
At Thrifty Thieves, we make sure that the metals used for the studs are as stated, even if it’s “supposedly” hypoallergenic. See the example below -
CLEAN YOUR JEWELLERY AFTER USE
Be sure to clean your dangles or any jewellery before and after use. Sometimes it may not be the metal you’re sensitive to, but the dirt or germs that were collected just because the jewellery was not cleaned or stored in a proper place.
You can read our full care instructions at our Product + Info page on preserving the integrity of your jewellery.
Last but not least, if you are slightly sensitive and insistent on putting on the dangles anyway, we suggest that you just wear them for a few hours - as recommended by one of our customers actually. You’ll know your body best!
We hope this post is informative enough for those who aren’t sure about their lobes allergy or sensitivity! If you’re still unsure and need more advice, feel free to ask us anything on our blog or hit us up on Instagram - we’ll be more than happy to help out.